Code of Conduct
The open exchange of ideas, the freedom of thought and expression, and respectful scientific debate are central to Khipu goals. This requires a community and an environment that recognizes and respects the inherent worth of every person. The purpose of this Code of Conduct (CoC) is to outline expected standards of behavior to all events and communication channels associated with Khipu.
This CoC applies to all KHIPU activities, including but not limited to:
- KHIPU in person events,
- Events organized, hosted, co-branded, in cooperation with KHIPU, or as part of the KHIPUx Program
- Communications sent through communication channels associated with Khipu, including but not limited to social media and the KHIPU emailing list, or Slack channels,
- Meetings and discussions associated with KHIPU activities.
If an activity is in cooperation with another organization, if the other organization has its own CoC, the union of both CoCs apply.
All attendees, speakers, mentors, panelists, sponsors, contractors, organizers, volunteers, members of the Khipu team (referred to as “Participants” collectively throughout this document) involved in Khipu activities as described above are required to comply with this CoC. Sponsors are equally subject to this CoC. In particular, sponsors should not use images, activities, or other materials that reinforce gender stereotypes or are of a sexual, racial, or otherwise offensive nature at Khipu events. Booth staff, including but not limited to volunteers, should not create a sexualized environment.
KHIPU is dedicated to providing an experience for all participants that is free from harassment, bullying, discrimination, and retaliation. This includes offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), politics, technology choices, or any other personal characteristics or considerations made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. Inappropriate or unprofessional behavior that interferes with another participant’s full participation will not be tolerated. This includes bullying, intimidation, personal attacks, harassment, sustained disruption of talks or other events, sexual harassment, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, public vulgar exchanges, derogatory name-calling, or diminutive characterizations, all of which are unwelcome in this community. Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior, is also considered harassment. No use of images, activities, or other materials that are of a sexual, racial, or otherwise offensive nature that may create an inappropriate or toxic environment is permitted. Disorderly, boisterous, or disruptive conduct including but not limited to fighting, coercion, theft, damage to property, or any mistreatment or non-businesslike behavior towards other participants is not tolerated. Scientific misconduct—including but not limited to fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism of paper submissions or research presentations—is prohibited.
If you have concerns related to your participation or interaction at a Khipu activity, observe someone else’s difficulties, or have any other concerns you wish to share, you can make a report:
- Anytime by email at [email protected]
- During an event in-person to organizers, volunteers, or any member of the Khipu Team. They will then direct you to the designated responder(s) for that event. There is no deadline by which to make a report.
Any participant asked by any member of the community to stop any unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. A response of “just joking” will not be accepted; behavior can be harassing without an intent to offend.
If a participant engages in behavior that violates this CoC, Khipu retains the right to take any action deemed appropriate, including but not limited to:
- Formal or informal warnings.
- Barring or limiting continued attendance and participation, including but not limited to expulsion from the event.
- Barring from participating in or deriving benefits from future Khipu activities.
- Exclusion from Khipu opportunities, e.g. leadership, organizing, volunteering, speaking, reviewing, sponsoring, etc.
- Reporting the incident to the offender’s local institution or funding agencies.
- Reporting the incident to local authorities or law enforcement.
- Other action(s) as deemed appropriate for the situation being addressed.
The same actions may be taken toward any individual who engages in retaliation or who knowingly makes a false allegation of harassment.
The Khipu team welcomes feedback from the community on this CoC policy and procedures; please contact us by email at [email protected].
This CoC has been adapted from the CoC at WiML. Its policy was written by adapting the wording and structure from other CoC policies and procedures by Geek Feminism Wiki (created by the Ada Initiative), NeurIPS, ACM, Montreal AI Symposium, and Deep Learning Indaba.